Tomberlin Crossfire 150 Rebuild

subydrift

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first build post. My 9 year old and I are rebuilding a Tomberlin Crossfire 150 into more of a mini buggy so we can take it into the mountains and out to the desert. I found the buggy locally for pretty cheap and knew it needed lots of work. I didn't have any personal projects going on so this became my focus and it has turned into a full rebuild.

FOER6909.JPG

We stripped the kart down to every pipe, nut bolt, etc. and got to cleaning everything up and assessing what needed to be replaced (hint, it's everything. Lol). We focused on the front suspension first sourcing new 12mm heims for the control arms and finding a good deal on some Skidoo Summit 800 front shocks. All of the 12mm ball joints were in rough shape or snapped off inside the control arm so I cut the threaded inserts out and welded in all new 1/2" inserts so we can use a standard and stronger 1/2" heim joint. The new front end setup cycles about 12" of travel!

ERHM0644.JPG
IMG_8998.JPG

Here's the front end setup. I've since replaced the upper ball joints with the same 1/2" heims as the lowers. The shocks were an inch shorter than stock so I welded on some custom lower shock mounts (don't worry I've cleaned them up since this photo). I had to widen the upper shock mounts so I ground small grooves in the mounts to help bend them and then filled in the grooves with weld to strengthen them back up.
IMG_9117.JPG
IMG_9118.JPG

I found some Razor seats that fit perfectly dimensionally, just need to work our their mounting once the frame is painted. Shouldn't be too hard. I found a new seat slider for the driver's set on VMC so my son can move the seat forward for him and I can slide it back for myself and my wife.

I had the frame and all small parts media blasted so we can powder coat the small parts orange and paint the main frame and swingarm black (son's color choice).

IMG_9224.JPG
IMG_9222.JPG

Currently I've got a little touch up to do on the parts getting powder coat. Also need to modify the front bumper for the new lights and then sand/prep the bumper and gas tank for paint, also the wheels. The blaster guy didn't bring enough media for everything.

The rest of the build will be fun! I haven't dove into the motor and CVT yet but will jump on that after the paint/PC is done. Other parts for the build are new 8" front wheels from VMC, all new 22" tires, new rear shocks (front atv shocks), new chain, belt, rebuilt steering rack, custom body panels, new front led lights and a small led lightbar overhead.

I'll keep this thread updated as we progress!

Snaker

Reaction score
Looks like a great project.
One thing though, those powerplants are generally rated as 9hp stock.
And desert sand and elevation changes are real power robbers.
So you may find yourself being short on power.
I see projects of that nature going with 100hp motorcycle or snowmobile engines

I would suggest that you put some attention into that powerplant before doing the finish painting, etc
Its very likely that you will have to chop up the rear end quite a bit if you do change out engines.

subydrift

Reaction score
I'll be sticking with the stock GY6 for now. My son is 9 so I don't want to let him go too crazy. The desert by us mostly dried lake bed so not too much loose sand and our mountains are logging roads. If he stays into it and gets more comfortable/proves to be safe then Ill be looking into a new IRS rear end with new motor. Thanks for the heads up though!

panchothedog

Reaction score
Dry lake bed is the BEST place on earth to teach a young first timer how to drive. Nothing to hit and no bad terrain to worry about.

subydrift

Reaction score
Got a little progress on the Crossfire done. I got the control arms and shock springs powder coated orange and got the front bumper and swingarm all painted in gloss black POR15. I'll be painting the main frame with the same paint this weekend when the weather is a bit warmer. The orange really pops with the black. I'm excited to get this thing back together!

Attachments

• IMG-9725.jpg
    IMG-9725.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG-9726.jpg
    IMG-9726.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG-9727.jpg
    IMG-9727.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG-9728.jpg
    IMG-9728.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG-9729.jpg
    IMG-9729.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Nice progress.
While the engine is out, now would be the perfect time to replace the cylinder, piston, and head. The whole kit stock 150cc is cheap and comes with all the gaskets. The gy6 150cc makes power on the high side, 6500+ rpm and used ones are beat to death. Power goes away REAL fast when they start loosing cylinder pressure. I put 5 or 6 top end kits in last year.
Complete ctv kits are also cheap and ez to swap out while engine is on the bench. Variarior rollers are usually flat spotted and clutch shoes are crumbled.
Jus my 2 cents, good luck with your project.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Got a little progress on the Crossfire done. I got the control arms and shock springs powder coated orange and got the front bumper and swingarm all painted in gloss black POR15. I'll be painting the main frame with the same paint this weekend when the weather is a bit warmer. The orange really pops with the black. I'm excited to get this thing back together!
Looking good! Colors are great. Nice to see a project go together.

subydrift

Reaction score
Thanks BrownStain and BaconBit. For the enigne and CVT kits which vendors have a good package? I see a bunch of dicey options on amazon but figure somehwere like gopowersports or the like would be a better source for engine parts? I plan on getting the new complete wiring harness with electrical parts from supergy6.com in hopes to weed out any previous wiring/e;ectrical bugs. I definitely want to look into the CVT kits though.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Thanks BrownStain and BaconBit. For the enigne and CVT kits which vendors have a good package? I see a bunch of dicey options on amazon but figure somehwere like gopowersports or the like would be a better source for engine parts? I plan on getting the new complete wiring harness with electrical parts from supergy6.com in hopes to weed out any previous wiring/e;ectrical bugs. I definitely want to look into the CVT kits though.
I'll be honest, wiring scares me. I think that a new harness should avoid electrical gremlins.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
The cvt is what makes the gy6 shine. Without the ctv, it would be a useless turd that wouldn't get out of its own way. There's alot to gain in tuning the cvt for the gy6. Weight is a big problem. I found it best to tune it for pulling weight, that's where the gy6 lacks power is low rpm torq. The stock 150 peaks torq at 6000 rpm, and that's only around 8 ft/lbs, so to get weight to move, you gotta stall the clutch around 4000, I prefer 4500 with 18" tires. Bigger tires makes things worse. You can control that with different roller weights, and clutch springs. Buggy gy6 engines do have 3 gear reductions. Some have a 3.??:1 trans gear, some have 2.??:1, I perfere the 3.??:1, the smallest trans output sprocket, and the largest axle sprocket that will fit, for pulling 2 200# adults. The mph will be there, you jus gotta get the rpm up in the power band. That's why so many used ones are worn out.
Ebay and Amazon both have good kits, I've used both, they work, most come with new oil pumps and chains. Jus don't fall for the big bore gimmick. Most 150 blocks don't accept the big bore cylinder. You have to split the block and have the block bored so the cylinder will fit down in to it. But now there's less material around the studs.
Theres a set of numbers on the left side of crankcase close to the bottom, near the front, these will tell you if it will accept the big bore kits. I don't think it's worth the aggravation.

subydrift

Reaction score
Ya I don't need a big bore kit. But a fresh overhaul would be nice. I have a new gates CVT belt and am looking at roller weights and a new spring for the trans. Anything specific I should be adding to that list? I was thinking a 2000 rpm spring but which roller weights are a good starting point?

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Ya I don't need a big bore kit. But a fresh overhaul would be nice. I have a new gates CVT belt and am looking at roller weights and a new spring for the trans. Anything specific I should be adding to that list? I was thinking a 2000 rpm spring but which roller weights are a good starting point?
It's really hard to say. It's gonna be a trial and error situation. I start with 14 gram rollers and all stock springs. Gotta figure out where you are at, so you know which way to go. Then i work my way towards more rpm before clutch engagement, with 2 adults, that way it will always have the power for max weight. Then say 1 150 rider, and it acts totally different, but still pulls hard off the line, outta the hole and up the steepest hills.
I think GPS sells a kit of rollers that has different weights. Different colors, 10 or 12 sets of 3, within 1 gram of each other. You can mix 2 different sets up for fine tuning, say 3 10g and 3 11g.
As for the springs, go ahead and buy the 3 different colors for the clutch springs, and the 3 different colors for the driven springs. Trust me, you will try all 3, lol.
When you get the right cvt tune, you will know it. It only takes 2 or 3 grams off and 200-300 rpm off to be completely outta the ball park.

redflash

Reaction score
Excellent base to start with, you'r doing a great job. I would suggest you grind and smooth those weld more. before you powdercoat....you'll be happier later and much more proud of the final results. I speak from experience, and you're a better welder than I am !

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
You gonna need a good tach with max rpm recall. I use this on my mini bike. It has alarms you can set for max rpm and max temp, hrs, some other stuff on it too. I'm not sure the temp lead is small enough for the gy6 spark plug, buts it's cheap and I'm really happy with it.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I wish i did some better clean up work on the welds. I think I was too hopeful that the powder would fill in a little better. Oh well. I ordered the new harness from supergy6 so the electrical side is all taken care of.
Might as well grind and repaint.

subydrift

Reaction score
Got some reassembly going on the Crossfire. I painted the frame liberally with gloss black POR-15. Should be easy to touch up and pretty durable. Front and rear ends are all back together. I got the passenger Rzr seat modified to fit and installed, still need to build brackets for the sliders on the driver seat. The color scheme my son chose looks great! He is super excited to get this thing rolling again. Hopefully I'll have a bunch more progress this weekend!

Next Steps; powder coat wheels and body panels orange, run wiring for lights/install lights, install small battery box in front for lighting, get steering wheel and shaft installed....

IMG_9845.JPGIMG_9841.JPGIMG_9844.JPGIMG_9858.JPGIMG_9859.JPG