My lil' 5HP guide...

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasemonkey85

Reaction score
i m not talking "old used parts" i am talking new parts. and i am not knocking flatheads at all, hell i race one and have been for 2 years, and messed with them all my life. i am just saying if you want power and cheap a clone is a better way to go. i have over $1000 in my race engine and it needs to be refreshend every 10 race nights, which is another $200 for rings and hone. the cool bore pistons are but none exsistant anymore, and other parts from flatheads are soon to follow. you want a good flathead to race.... $1500 to $2000 for good one. an animal... $1250 to $1500 and it will go all year. and a clone will make more power with a superbox kit on gas than my controlled flathead does.

i m not trying to start a fight, or tick anyone off, i am here to make friends and i was just stating facts.

oh yes a motorcycle engine or sled engine would be far better, but i cant find one anywhere local for less than $750. and i like to tinker too

greasemonkey85

Reaction score
when it comes to racing there there is no cheap, sorry that is the way it is. a famous racer said once.... money is speed, how fast do you want to go?

i just believe in doing it once..... if that means i have to save for weeks or months then so be it

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
when it comes to racing there there is no cheap, sorry that is the way it is. a famous racer said once.... money is speed, how fast do you want to go?

Ok, you can easily find a 750 or even 1000cc sled engine in any state with snow for under $1000, my 750 that i got for free (needs crank bearings) puts out 140 hp, so you can go ahead and get yourself a $2,000 briggs and mod it to maybe 20hp, but for half the price (less than half if you find the right deal) you can get an engine with 7 times the Hp. Anyways, just my 2 cents, i just dont see why anyone would put so much into an engine with so little potential compared to a sled or motorcycle engine. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

oscaryu1

Reaction score

i just believe in doing it once..... if that means i have to save for weeks or months then so be it

Well that "famous racer" has most likely never heard of eBay :)

Billet 3HP flywheel for $60 shipped.

Milled and custom fireslotted head for $35.

Milled, CNC Fireslot, and valve relieved head for $30.

(All those prices included shipping). Heck, I got a .370" lift cam for a 5 horse for $40!

You can build a 5 horse CHEAP. And still get a hecka nice motor while you're at it.

the cool bore pistons are but none exsistant anymore, and other parts from flatheads are soon to follow.

Actually, you can still find one around. Go to your local junykard, 5HP's everywhere. Alot of them Kool Bores. What can I say? When you finally honed to oversize, either get it sleeved, or find another block to put that piston in.

As Dave says, easy as that.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
will the 3hp billet flywheel fit a 5hp? i heard of using the flywheel from a 3hp for a 5 before because its smaller and lighter.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Ok, you can easily find a 750 or even 1000cc sled engine in any state with snow for under $1000, my 750 that i got for free (needs crank bearings) puts out 140 hp, so you can go ahead and get yourself a $2,000 briggs and mod it to maybe 20hp, but for half the price (less than half if you find the right deal) you can get an engine with 7 times the Hp. Anyways, just my 2 cents, i just dont see why anyone would put so much into an engine with so little potential compared to a sled or motorcycle engine. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

:iagree: The ONLY reason we run a 4 cycle flathead on our Dragster is because we have to. If it wasnt for the rule I'm SURE we wouldn be running 440 sled engines or so.

pmat

noob
Reaction score
oh yes a motorcycle engine or sled engine would be far better, but i cant find one anywhere local for less than $750. and i like to tinker too

Check Ez Pull and Save by New Ringgold here in the skook, sleds everywhere, some complete engines, most not. The other day i found a great 4 cyl motorcycle engine in great condition, but the clutch was burnt out.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Forget Tillotsen for a 4 stroke gas engine. Its such a crude working carb. The throttle is like a light switch and cause's alot of washdown at idle.

EagleTalons

Master JB Welder
Reaction score
I just looked at my piston that was in my engine. It says 6 or 9 on it and it was in a Kool bore? This is stock mind you. Also got my rod! Just waiting for the exhaust valve and then time to assemble!

vandancouver

Reaction score
nice thread. i read through it all. also, thanks to whoever said i can pick up a rotary tool at harbor freight. they are actually 9.99 though. but good deal still!

frederic

The Junk Man
Reaction score

That phrase has been around since hot-rodding became a phenominon in the late 40's out in Cali.

It's a take-off from an older phrase that goes like this:

1. Performance.
2. Reliability.
3. Cheap.

Pick two.

I agree with your statement philosophically, and for those of us who have raced and taken it seriously, absolutely.

For those who are not plagued by such things and instead build karts to have a ton of fun, they can build things much cheaper because of how often they use it and how hard they don't run it.

A few rips of WOT on the lawn does not equate 5 or 6 1/8 mile runs every weekend plus practice runs during the week.

Just like there's an engineering difference (and associated cost difference) between a streetable race toy and an outright, purpose built 1/4 mile screamer. The same concept scales down to karts just fine.

Back in the late 80's when my partners and I were trying to wiggle our way into the big leagues, a very nice champion of drag racing put his hand on my shoulder and said "Son, racing gets exponentially expensive for every second you shave off."

And you know what? He was right. Anything that sucks down 12 gallons of nitro-methane in a quarter mile is not cheap!

nikole95.7

Reaction score
And you get a free hole on the side of your block :)

And maybe you will get a few surprises at the bottom of the block when pulling the side cover off. Try it and then you will get the surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:

chain

Reaction score
I wrote this for a member, so I decided why not to share it with everybody :) You can never learn too much :arf:

Cheap power:

First of all, get out your dremel, and your little barrel like sand paper.

Then, cut the eyebrows. (Pics can be sent for an example upon request). These are the bits of metal sticking inbetween the valve/seats, and the cylinder hole.it.

Going to try this on My first Briggs does anyone have any pics?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.